Jon's Rants, Void of Smarts

A collection of random dabblings into pop culture, life, and love as it appears to Jon Latham

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The New Youth Generation: Touring Jurassic Park or Waking Up the Dinosaurs

I have been in the same youth room for right at 10 years of my life now. Certainly, the room itself has come a long way in a decade. Long gone is the bulky 1978 Momo soundboard with three out of six channels working, and the Orange, Yellow and Dark Blue walls. We've torn down the autographed Ken Holloway poster along with the DC Talk 'Free at Last' promo tour print. It has been years since we have been sat in front of a 'Time 2' video featuring Carman. Come to think of it, we have not mentioned Carman in anything but a punchline or two in a long while. There is new carpet on the floor, new paint on the walls, and most importantly, in regards to this little nuggett of thought, a new generation of teenagers with a Christian worldview that is alien to most in the church. I have become more aware of this recently through a thought-provoking observation.

Before I go any further, let me throw out this disclaimer. I am not stating this stuff as a truth that can't be argued. If by any chance this little entry causes conversation and debate, great. These are my observations, and of course everyone else should have some as well, that is unless they are truly dinosaurs. In which case, they can't observe anything; they are extinct.

Through work with our amazing youth band at Gateway, I have found that a common musical preference runs throughout the majority of these kids, pop-punk pioneers and latter-day political-message mavericks, Green Day. This struck such a nerve with me as I figured out why the kids wanted me to teach them Green Day riffs on the guitar. I was in sixth grade when 'Dookie', Green Day's Reprise Records debut, was released. I remember vividly how important that album was to me at that time in my life, and I remember how emotionally, that album connected with me and my confusion in a simple teenage life. And here I find myself, 10 years after the fact and Green Day is 10 years older along with me. Yet, of all the bands that I heard in 1995, I would have been the last to think that Green Day would still remain relevant. That's what I get for assuming. Last year, they released 'American Idiot', a rock opera of sorts painting the picture of our post-9/11 America as it could be viewed from the kid on the street, untrusting of authority, confused, hurt, and betrayed by the powers that be. As I see now through a good listen through the album, Green Day resonate still with that same adolescent demographic. They pull no punches and that type of truth is what solace those kids are looking for, no roses and sunshine, only a look at what life is like when nobody is listening. Still, the album effectively works at telling the listener, "We can't answer your questions, but maybe we can ask them together." Not to mention, the album rocks regardless of message, and the sound itself draws the listener in.

I think of this and shake my head at the possibility of a Southern Gospel group being one of the big-name talents to grace the headlining slot of an upcoming regional youth convention. There is no way you can convince me that these kids who listen to bands like Green Day will give a trusting ear to the sound of Southern Gospel. For anyone who has heard one Southern Gospel tune, you can place a safe bet you've heard the basics of them all, four-part-harmony, piano-led, heavy on twang, hence the "Southern" label, and all-around snore-fests for your punk-rocker type.

I then flash back again to the numerous times I saw Carman, post-R.I.O.T. busting out the same Dance, rap-talk routine with overblown, over-produced musical crap such as "The Champion" and "America Again". Only Meat Loaf can get away with overblown, over-produced musical crap. I remember hearing DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' album for the first time right after I got saved, thinking, "Wow, I get this." Now, when I pop in 'Jesus Freak', sure, the message is there, but will any kid out there at age 13 or 14 really give it a listen? It sounds outdated. Contemporary Christian Music's underground rock scene is taking strides faster than the heads of the church can even keep up with, if they keep up with it at all.

THAT'S WHAT FRIGHTENS ME.

Are these folks in charge paying any attention to what they are in charge of? Certainly, there is a message and maturity within that they are there to make sure is nurtured, but dare I say any of these 40-to-50-year-old's have listened closely to the concerns voiced by bands like Switchfoot, who bring up some really good points and insight on the 'Nothing is Sound' album. Do they here the longing and observations of David Crowder's 'A Collision' album, the first Christian concept album in my opinion.

Do they think the kids will roll with whatever is tossed in front of them? I think not, because I've listened to these kids, and I still listen to their music. If there is an "American Idiot" in this equation, it isn't the young age that shows it. Perhaps that is what these teens want from us, a world and what it's like when we do listen.

I feel it is necessary in our ministry to connect with these kids, and you can't do it with a guess-and-check method. If so, you can end up losing this youth generation to the phrase that helped Green Day say it best...

"I don't care if you don't"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home